Gain, Earn, Win and Get. What's the difference?
If you ate this everyday you would GAIN weight...but once and a while is ok. YUMMY!
What is the difference between Gain, Earn, win and get? This is a good question and requires a bit of explanation regarding the shades of meaning between the words. They are very similar so I can understand why it is hard for learners to differentiate between them.
Lets start with GAIN
Gain is when you acquire something as an increase or addition. So for example during the holidays I usually gain weight.
Could you say gain more money? No. You EARN
more money. What does earn mean?
means to obtain or get something in return for ones personal efforts. So if I work harder I might earn more money. If I try to be kind to people I might earn their friendship.
What about WIN
? Can you win more money? You can. Imagine your win 1000€, and then the next day you win 1000€ more. You just won more money.
Win is usually associated with succeeding with a certain task or obtaining a physical prize for your efforts. It can also refer to victory.
If a soccer team beats another, they win (the other looses). If you play the lottery and you WIN, you receive the price. If you are in a competition (sports, war, games etc) and you are victorious, you win.
is very complicated because usually it is in a phrasal verb form, but generally speaking get means to obtain or receive. I got a new car. I get sick when I am stressed. I get mail from Canada.
Here are some more examples to try and help show you the difference:GAIN
* The father gained custody of his child after the divorce.
* After Christmas I gained 7 pounds.
* Obama gained thousands of supporters in the final days of the election.
* My watch gains six minutes a day.
* He gained my respect after the meeting.EARN
* I earn a living by teaching English.
* I earned more money when I lived in Madrid.
* I have earned a reputation as being helpful and honest.
* I would like to earn your respect.
* ING savings account earn a large amount of interest.
* His polite manner earned the respect of my parents.GET
* I got some great gifts for Christmas.
* My parents get military pensions.
* I went to the doctor to get more information about allergies.
* I got the joke...but it wasn't funny (to get something: to understand something mentally).WIN
* I won the race because I finished first.
* After spending 3 hours writing his application he won the scholarship.
* Spain beat Germany in the world cup and won the trophy.
* I scratched the playing card and won a new car.
* He won the respect of his peers after demonstrating his leadership skills during the crisis.
Would you like an answer without waiting?
answer all your grammar questions yourself
and in the comfort of your own home
How? It is simple. Get a copy of Practical English Usage
, by Michael Swan.
I can honestly say that this grammar reference guide is the best I have ever used and I use it daily answering all of your grammar questions; including this question.
Why wait for my answer? When the answer is just a page number away?
Get this book now and start solving your grammar questions!
Click on the image above to buy the book safely and quickly through Amazon.ca
Have a wonderful day everyone!
- Diana :)
Visit the English Grammar section for more Grammar advice.
Visit the Helping You Learn English Home Page