How to Study English
A Simple Plan
When you ask someone 'how to study English' you will receive many answers.
Some will say live abroad (the best and fastest way to learn any language), others will tell you to have classes with a Nativespeaker, while others will say get an English speaking boyfriend or girlfriend (this does actually work...but for some of you it isn't an option). :)
Most people know that practice makes perfect but then they don't know how to practice English. The following list is here when you don't know what to do. With almost 20 different activities, you will always have something new to try.
Try to create a balance between listening, speaking, writing and reading and try to do these activities everyday for a minimum of 30 minutes.
Just like losing weight, if you make a plan or routine and stick to it (keep doing it) then you will succeed. 100%
- Listen to the radio in English while you drive to and from work. If you take the metro use a mp3 player and download some pod casts or radio programs in English. Click here for some great radio resources
- Listen to the radio in English while you work. If your office does not have any rules about listening to things while you work, keep your radio on low (or use headphones). You will not be concentrating on the English but your will let your ears get used to the sounds of English while you work.
- Listen to the radio when you are at home. While you cook, clean, play with your kids etc
- Choose your favorite English music and look for the lyrics on the Internet. You can read along to the songs, as you hear the words at the same time. Don't have time to search for songs and lyrics? I've done the work for you.
- Listen to or watch the news on TV. You can find broadcasts of the news on line if you do not have satellite or cable which allows you to change the language to English.
- Many people ask if watching movies could be the answer to how to study English. I believe it can. Watching movies and DVDs of your favorite TV series is a great way to improve all aspects of you English. Watch with English subtitles at first and then progress to no subtitles
Want to know how to study English Grammar? Click here.
Visit the Learn English Blog to see what's new.
Find more ADVICE and help here
Still looking? Search the site for exactly what you need using the site search box below.
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment,
your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.
Discover these Amazing ESL Materials!
New! CommentsWhat do you think about this page? Leave me a comment in the box below.